Anonymity

Lazy Man asks a question with which I am wrestling with right now. I don’t think anyone in my family knows that I write this blog, although it appears in the blogroll of two other blogs where I am not anonymous. Some of them may suspect – no one has said anything. The issue is, I plan to and sometimes share personal information here and I would rather that information not be public knowledge with my friends and family.

I am sure that they would think a personal finance blog is a crazy idea – I wonder if their attitude would be different if I actually made some money in this gig. . .

Personal finance blogs have changed almost everything about the way I view and handle money. Rocket Finance gives me a chance to possibly help others and, in some ways, keeps me accountable for how I order my finances.

1. 6 Responses to “Anonymity”

2. By plonkee on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

Although I try to be as anonymous as I can, I often mention that I blog in my day to day life. It stops people wondering what I do with all my time.

No one is really interested, although when they find out my blog generates money, they’re more enthusiastic.

3. By FinanceAndFat on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

Yep, I can relate. I’m going through the same thing. The only person who knows about my blog in ‘real life’ is my wife. I also run a blog and other sites that do not hide my identity. I would like to link over, but I fear the ramifications of people finding my name and seeing so many details of my financial situation (I decided I wanted to share as much as I could on my blog).

Here’s a crazy thought- what if I was applying for a new job and the employer found that I am $260K in debt? Would he/she think I’m incompetent or try to low-ball me on a salary offer? I’m probably not being rational, but it has crossed my mind.

4. By Lazy Man on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

Thanks for the link. It’s always easy to put the information out there, but it’s impossible to take it back. As mentioned, what happens if a potential employer Google’s you and finds something of the billion words that you wrote that he/she didn’t like. I don’t want to lose a job or be penalized in any way for my blog. Also, I put too much financial information out there to match with my name.

5. By rocketc on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

After rereading my post and considering all of your comments –

Even though I like the cross traffic from the other blogs, I think I am going to remove RF from the other sites. I am planning a large post or possibly a series of posts about my family’s mortgage situation – it is probably too risky to reveal my identity. I made a lot of dumb financial decisions when I was first married.

6. By FourPillars on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

I’ve told my wife and a few friends. I’m hoping to tell my family but I haven’t yet.

In your case I agree with your decision not to cross-link. Either be 100% anonymous or don’t…

Mike

7. By rocketc on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

I don’t want to be fodder for family gossip (any more than I already am. . .)