Saturday is for coffee: Gevalia

Saturdays at Rocket Finance are a little more laid back than the rest of the week. No ranting about taxes or intense frugality. Just a cup of coffee, a laptop, wireless internet and a good pair of slippers. . .

Almost three years ago, my wife joined the Gevalia coffee club. I think she paid $18.99 for a new coffee pot and two half-pound bags of coffee. It was a pretty good deal, we got a little coffee and a coffee maker with a timer and the “pause and pour” feature. Gevalia is a subscription club where you agree to purchase a certain amount of coffee each month – of course the money is direct debited from your credit card and the coffee is delivered whether we need it or not. Mrs. Rocket cancelled the subscription within the thirty days and we enjoyed the coffee and kept the coffee maker. The coffee was good – the pot worked and everything was hunky-dory.

Lately, however, the coffee pot has started to show signs of old age and we had begun starting to discuss how or if we should replace it. Then, this week, we received a flyer in the mail from Gevalia that said, “We missed you so much, we’ve sweetened our offer.” And the new offer is pretty good – a new coffee maker and a pound of coffee for five bucks! The other great thing is that they now allow you to choose how often the coffee is delivered. This is great because part of the reason that we didn’t stay with the club the last time is that more coffee was delivered each month than we could drink or afford. This time around, we chose to have coffee delivered/charged only every 12 weeks. If we decide to keep our membership, we will only pay for the coffee we drink.

It is sometimes a challenge to be a frugal coffee drinker, but deals like this don’t hurt!

American Express® Preferred Rewards Gold Card

Apply for the Amex Gold Reward Card and get 10,000 points that are redeemable for a $100 gift card after your first purchase!

1. 7 Responses to “Saturday is for coffee: Gevalia”

2. By plonkee on Jan 19, 2008 | Reply

Sounds like a good deal.

I don’t drink coffee at home (don’t buy milk, can’t drink coffee without it). I do like a nice coffee shop coffee as a treat though.

3. By Lisa Spinelli on Jan 19, 2008 | Reply

Thanks for the tip-

My spouse and I are big coffee drinkers, and also committed to purchasing Fair Trade/Organic coffee when possible. It’s a battle keeping the costs reasonable. I’m going to do a post on my site about it this week.

4. By rocketc on Jan 19, 2008 | Reply

@ plonkee, there is something very pleasant about sitting in a coffee shop and just relaxing. It is one of our favorite dates and we can usually get away with only spending $8.

@ Lisa, let me know when it is up, I am interested in reading more on that subject.

5. By Aaron Stroud on Jan 19, 2008 | Reply

“Just a cup of coffee”? I measure my coffee consumption in the gallons!

Lisa, you might want to check out this EconTalk podcast on Fair Trade and Free Trade. They talk about Fair Trade coffee (the podcast also has some notes so you can skip to the relevant portions if you’re in a rush.)

Although EconTalk is hosted by an economics professor, the host and the guests do a great job of keeping their discussions accessible.

6. By deepali on Jan 25, 2008 | Reply

Ah, my favorite topic of convo. 🙂

I could go on for hours about coffee! Gevalia is pretty good, but I had the same problem with getting too much coffee. I also find the coffee makers to be kind of cheap.

Now I’m super picky about what I buy – I found a store that sells it kind of on the expensive side, but it’s a local market, and I love to support local business. Otherwise, I get it on the internet, usually some place like this:

7. By rocketc on Jan 26, 2008 | Reply

We have a great local coffee joint. I might post about it tomorrow.

2. Apr 26, 2008: Stimulate Rebate Spend? Save? | rocket finance