Saturday is for coffee: Different Strokes

Mrs. Rocket and I both like coffee, but we have distinctly different tastes when it comes to coffee. When she purchases a mocha from Caribou or Starbucks, she will immediately evaluate it on the basis of texture, mixture ratio and taste. While she is complimenting or complaining about the delicate balance of the espresso and chocolate as well as the barista’s talent or lack of talent, I am chugging my drink.

If I spend $5 on a 20 ounce beverage, there is no way I am going to question it. I already know that it is a terrible waste of money and finding fault with the drink only makes it worse.

When we brew coffee at home, I like it as dark as possible. I always increase the recommended coffee grounds to cup of water ratio in favor of the coffee. I like it when my coffee makes me grimace after the first taste. Mrs. Rocket liberally doctors her cup with sugar and cream.

I can drink just about any coffee, anywhere. I have been known to drink cold coffee, instant coffee, burned coffee, coffee from the hardware store, coffee from the gas station, coffee from the bank, coffee from hotel rooms, and coffee that has sat in the carafe for three days (coffee doesn’t spoil, does it? it’s never hurt me. . .yet). My wife is a bit more picky and she seems to have a rule that she can never completely finish a cup of coffee, but she doesn’t have to worry – I always finish them off for her.

Our all-time favorite coffee is Highlander Grogg from Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters. The worst coffee I’ve ever had is . . .well, there could be a long list here. . . My favorite coffee drink is Caramel Beze from Latte Donatte.

What is your favorite coffee or coffee drink?

1. 8 Responses to “Saturday is for coffee: Different Strokes”

2. By Jose Anes on Jan 26, 2008 | Reply

I like very dry skim caps. It doesn’t have to be Starbucks – their baristas don’t have enough experience or passion. I prefer small, owner operated coffee shops.

3. By Lynnae @ Being Frugal.net on Jan 26, 2008 | Reply

A regular mocha with whip from Dutch Bros. Mmmmmm. I haven’t had one in a looooooong time!

4. By rocketc on Jan 26, 2008 | Reply

Latte Donatte is a local shop. We enjoy it a great deal – we love Caribou when traveling – Starbucks is okay in a pinch.

5. By Mrs. Rocket on Jan 26, 2008 | Reply

Dearest, I have to have specialty creamers also…..just plain sugar and cream does not cut it. But I always use a coupon to buy my International Foods chosen flavor–that counts for something on this finance blog, doesn’t it? 🙂

6. By RC on Jan 26, 2008 | Reply

I have been drinking coffee for just a few years now. If it’s not a vanilla latte or caramel macchiato, then I have to have a bold roast–black with some sugar. I’ve given too much of my money at various Starbucks locations lately (over $120 this past November!!), so I’ve been making my own lattes in the morning and taking them to work in my super heat-retaining Starbucks thermos cup. Lately, I’ve begun to appreciate Dunkin’ Donuts and Seattle’s Best–both in a medium roast. I suppose my coffee preference is still evolving, but I’m certain about one thing: I detest flavored creamers! (Sorry, Mrs. R!)

7. By plonkee on Jan 27, 2008 | Reply

Plain coffee with milk. Or a cappuccino or mocha. No sugar, no flavourings. Don’t like lattes, too milky. Don’t like cream in coffee, too fatty. Will drink back coffee if necessary.

Starbucks were handing out free samples the other day. Free, makes everything taste better.

8. By rocketc on Jan 27, 2008 | Reply

@ RC – I’m not a big fan of steamed milk either.
    @ Plonkee – I need to find out when these samples are happening in my area.

2. Jan 27, 2008: Pages tagged "coffee"