I was recently asked what I would do if I needed an extra $200 and only had two weeks to acquire the money. I have couple of ideas:
- Pray. We are often given unexpected, small sums of money by friends and family. For instance, Sarah was given a $20 gift card the other day and it was a great help to our budget. Rarely are we given sums of that size ($200), but it could happen.
- Sell something on Craig’s List or Ebay. We only have a couple of items that are worth that much and that we would be willing to part with, but we could get most of the money in a pinch this way.
- Roll it over to the next month. Use part of our emergency fund to care for the immediate expense and then make sure that we cover it in a future month. Get it today and then figure out how to pay for it later.
- Find a freelance job. I have experience in painting, roofing and wood finishing. I am confident that if I needed to make extra money in the evenings or weekends, that I could pull it off.
- Qualify for a bank bonuses or credit card bonuses. I am trying to avoid this particular revenue stream right now, but this is how we solved our money problem last year. We could dust off a few of those tricks again if we had to.
Frankly, I think that we would probably just put the money on a card and figure out how to pay for it later. We are currently running a $500 deficit every month anyway, so $200 doesn’t seem like too big of a deal. Now if we needed an extra $2,000. . . that would get my attention. I have already been giving serious thought to exactly when I will need to get a second job in order to continue to make the payments on the house that we still own in Wisconsin.
What would you do if you needed $200 in two weeks?